Willis ISD Dress Code
Dress and Grooming (All Grade Levels)
The district’s dress code is established to teach grooming and hygiene, prevent disruption, and minimize safety hazards. Students and parents may determine a student’s personal dress and grooming standards, provided that they comply with the following:
- All clothing must be neat, clean, modest, and fit (not too tight or oversized) in proportion to the student.
- Any shirt that displays undergarments and/or torso is prohibited.
- Pants, trousers, or shorts will be worn at or above the waist and fastened appropriately.
- Students will not dress alike or wear combinations of colors that denote group affiliation, except for school-approved organizations and/or activities.
- Dusters and trench coats are prohibited.
- No article of clothing will display vulgar or inappropriate language, violence, or obscenities of any kind.
- No article of clothing will refer to or advertise tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, narcotics, or any other prohibited substance.
- Students must be fully clothed with no bare midriff showing when the student goes through normal activities of a school day (bending, stretching, reaching, etc.).
- Students’ shorts, skirts, or dresses must be mid-thigh or longer in length. (Administrators have the authority to decide what is acceptable in length.) Biker, jogging, or boxer shorts (tights) are not permitted if worn by themselves. Soccer-style shorts are acceptable provided they meet the length requirement. (Due to some physical activities, the wearing of shorts under dresses is encouraged.)
- Para-military attire is prohibited.
- No sleepwear.
- Proper footwear must be worn at all times for health and safety reasons.
- Shoes with rollers or skates within them are prohibited.
- Cleated shoes are not permitted.
- Para-military footwear is prohibited.
- House shoes and/or slippers are prohibited.
- Expensive jewelry should not be worn to prevent loss or theft. The school is not responsible for loss or theft.
- Lip rings/studs, tongue studs, or any other body-piercing jewelry (except earrings and nose studs) are prohibited.
- Any jewelry that distracts from the educational process is prohibited.
- Gang related designs (letters, numerals, etc.) are not to be shaved into the head, hair, and/or eyebrow.
- Hair must be neat, clean, and worn in such a manner that it will not cause undue attention.
- Sharp-pointed combs, rakes, or picks must not be worn in the hair.
- Facial hair must be neat, trimmed, and clean. (Grades 6-12 only)
- Hats, hoodies and caps are not to be worn on the head inside the building at any time.
- Scarves and bandannas may not be worn as head, wrist, arm, or leg bands; they cannot be displayed in any manner.
- Sunglasses will not be worn inside any school building except under doctor’s orders.
- Wallet chains, long key chains, or any other kinds of heavy chains are prohibited.
- Badges, decals, patches, jewelry, or other similar items are not to be worn if they advocate prohibited substances or actions, vulgar or inappropriate language, violence, or obscenities of any kind.
- Tattoos that are deemed distracting or gang related by an administrator must be covered at all times. (Extracurricular sponsors or coaches may require all tattoos covered during school related events.)
Any part of the dress code that is inappropriate or distracting, as deemed by the campus administrator, will be prohibited.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD