Notification of Placement or Non-Placement letters stemming from Spring GT Assessment in grades 1+ were delivered to campuses today and should come home tomorrow, Tuesday, April 17.
Administration of Spring Assessments for GT in grades 1+ should be completed by the end of this week, then we will move to the scoring & committee data review phase. Letters of placement or non-placement should be coming home the week of April 16, 2018.
Pre-AP Parent & Family Information Meeting - Parents and families of incoming 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students (both Brabham and Lucas for 2018-2019) interested in learning about Pre – Advanced Placement (Pre-AP) courses are invited to attend an informational night on Monday, 03/26/2018 from 6-7pm in the Lynn Lucas Middle School Auditorium. Click link for more information.
GT Referral and Assessment
- The deadline to refer a student for GT assessment for Kinder is January 17; the deadline to turn in completed forms for assessment for Kinder students to campus is no later than January 19.
- The deadline to refer a student for GT assessment for grades 1+ is February 2; the deadline to turn in completed forms for assessment for students in grades 1+ to campus is no later than February 9.
- Referrals should be made to your child's campus counselor or to Amy Rogers (District Advanced Academics Coordinator); Forms are available from your campus counselor or online HERE.
UPDATE 12/19/17: There will be an informational meeting for families of students interested in learning more about the referral and assessment process for the Gifted & Talented Program in Willis ISD. The meeting will be on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 from 6:00pm - 7:00 pm in the Cargill Boardroom at Willis ISD Central Office, located at 204 W. Rogers, Willis 77378. This is the large white building on Rogers, between N. Campbell St. and N. Thompson St., adjacent to Parmley Elementary. If you are unable to make the meeting, but would like the information, please click HERE.
UPDATE 08/21/17: If you are new to the school district and your child participated in the gifted program in a previous school or program, please make sure to inform the registrar and counselor upon enrollment and specifically ask that they request those records from that district.
Referrals for NEW transfer students can occur throughout the year, however testing takes place at three specified times per year.
- Fall - Out of District GT Transfer students only (as needed should other district criterion not match WISD)
- Winter - Kinder Only
- Spring - Grades 1+
UPDATE 05/15/17: Result letters for the latest round of assessment for placement in the Gifted & Talented program in Willis ISD will be coming home today, 05/15/17. Should you have questions, please feel free to call Amy Rogers - Advanced Academics Coordinator.
UPDATE 05/02/17: GT assessment for 1st-8th grade across the district was completed last Friday, 4/28/17. We are now in the process of scoring and norming all of the district assessments. Next week the GT committee will come together, review assessment data and make decisions for placement and non-placement. You should receive an envelope with results on Monday, 5/15/17.
UPDATE 04/11/17: GT Assessment is now underway in grades 1-8. Testing should be complete by the end of April. Results should come home by mid-May. Please try to minimize student absences, tardies and leave earlies to assist us completing testing in a timely manner.
UPDATE 03/03/17: The period to refer students in grades 1+ for GT assessment has now ended, the deadline was Friday, March 3, 2017. The referral included completion and returning of required paperwork to either the student's campus or the district Advanced Academics Coordinator.
UPDATE 01/25/17: On Tuesday, 01/24/17 an informational meeting for prospective parents seeking more the Gifted & Talented Program in Willis ISD was held in the Willis ISD Boardroom at the Cargill ESC (Willis ISD District Offices - 204 W. Rogers, Willis, TX 77378).
Information covered: the referral process, how students are assessed, and how students are served in Willis ISD (see attached slideshow below).
- Deadline for Kinder referral is 01/27/17
- Deadline for 1st-5th grade referral is 03/03/17
- Required documents for referral are attached below - referral form, parent checklist, permission to test).
For a list of traits to look for, see the "Bertie Kingore - High Achiever vs. Gifted vs. Creative Thinker" document at the bottom of the page.
- Assessment for Kinder: 02/06/17-02/17/17
- Spring Assessment for Grades 1+: 04/03/17-04/28/17